Only Captain Kirk Knows How I Feel

Friday, May 8, 2009

I Really Really Heart Star Trek

Star Trek absolutely fucking rocked!!!

Before you get any further, let me put a SPOILER ALERT here. Don't read the rest if you don't want to know what happens!

Now, onwards!

So it was really cool. It was exciting, funny, sad, finger-clenching cool. The two hours passed in the blink of an eye, and I would have happily sat through a much longer movie. There were great action sequences--Kirk and Spock kicking each others' asses on the the bridge of the Enterprise; Kirk, Sulu and a redshirt parachuting--from space!--down to a platform, where Sulu then engages in a kickass sword fight with a folding sword; the very beginning of the movie, involving the destruction of the USS Kelvin. There were lots of really funny parts, especially for Trekkies, who would understand the underlying humor in McCoy calling Spock a greenblooded hobgoblin, or telling him that he's out of his Vulcan mind. It was sad--Kirk's father died in the first 10 minutes of the movie, fighting the bad guys (evil Romulans with funky tattoos on their faces) so that his crew and his wife (giving birth in the shuttle to James Tiberius Kirk) could escape. Of course that made me cry. And then later, Vulcan was destroyed (let me repeat that: VULCAN WAS DESTROYED!!!!) and Amanda, Spock's mother, was one of the casualties.

So it was great. The plot device (the aforementioned evil time traveling Romulan changing the course of the future by going into the past) allowed the film to be true to the spirit of the the original Star Trek without having to slavishly follow its canon. And, though I was skeptical about that, it worked great. It was especially moving when young Kirk met old Spock from the future, who had been brought back in time by the Romulan.

I did have one issue. Kirk was supposed to have an older brother, George Samuel Kirk Jr, who died in the the original series episode "Operation: Annihilate!" But in the movie, there was no mention of Sam in the movie, not even a throwaway line saying that he was on another planet or anything. But that was my only quibble with the movie, and it is relatively minor.

There was a few people that I saw in costume. I, of course, was wearing my ears. They looked great! (Not really, but that's okay, they were fun to wear.)

So basically, Star Trek was super cool. You should go, immediately. Drop everything and head to the theatre right this minute!

2 comments:

Trekkie4Ever said...

Hi I am Lynda's little sister. I am also a fellow Trekkie. She told me that you love Star Trek as much as I did. I had to write.

I LOVED THE MOVIE!! Did you recognize Winona Ryder as "Amanda?" When the Romlulans ship first came into view I thought it looked a bit like Shinzon's? Then I was trying to figure what species they were. Needless to say there were a few gasps in the audience when it was revealed that they were Romulans. Oh, well the movie rocked! I am ready for the next one. I may, in fact, go and see it one more time with my nine-year-old he is begging to see it with his mommy. Future Trekkie in the making, hee...

Btw, I was sporting my spock t-shirt that says, "live long and prosper." And yes, I can do the hand gesture.

Lynda said...

You two are geeks! I love you guys, inspite of that or maybe it's because of that reason. :)

The movie did rock and we are going to go see it, again. Yay!